It is normal for you to face a decline in the performance of your computer at some point because the programs and operating systems have become more sophisticated, and use a large part of computer resources, as the storage space is filled with a large amount of files, and many different files are stored in (random access memory) RAM. It leads to decreased performance and reduced processing speed.
In this case, you can improve your computer's performance by upgrading some internal components; For example: increasing the capacity of the HDD hard disk – or changing it to the type of SSD that offers higher processing speeds – and adding RAM, especially if your device is relatively modern, taking into account that this upgrade will be financially expensive.
Today, we will review 5 ways to help you improve computer performance:
1. Free up storage space on the hard disk:
The full storage space leads to problems that affect the performance of the system, and gradually it is possible for the system to crash completely, so it is better to keep 10% of the storage space empty to ensure better performance.
Now, thanks to the spread of cloud storage services , you can do this step easily, you can use applications, such as: Dropbox or Google Drive to save files, in addition to the service ( OneDrive ) OneDrive comes integrated into Windows 10, and the Mac OS system includes (iCloud) ) Of Apple, so it has become easy to free up storage space in the hard disk and store files in these applications and return to them when needed, which helps improve computer performance.
You can use (OneDrive) service in Windows 10 through the following steps:
- Click the (OneDrive) app icon in the notification area.
- In the pop-up menu, press the (More) button.
- Click on the (Settings) tab, then select the option (Save space and download files during use) to save space and download files as you use them.
2. Delete unused apps:
The step to get rid of all unused programs and applications will help you to free up additional space in your device, which reduces slow performance problems, and provides greater system security. The fewer applications installed, the simpler and faster the operation will be.
To delete applications in Windows 10, follow the following:
- Go to the (Settings) page, then press the (Applications and Features) option, a list of all the applications installed in your device will appear.
- Click on the application you want to delete, then press the (Uninstall) option. You can also find old and large applications by sorting at the bottom of the search box.
3. Stop applications at startup:
The addition of many applications that run when the computer starts up is necessary and useful for the speed of accessing them when needed, but the large number of these applications may affect computer resources, causing slow operation, as well as consuming more RAM and affecting processor performance and thus slow down Computer performance.
To stop running applications in Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the taskbar, then select ( Task Manager).
- Click on the Startup tab, where you will see a list of applications that run automatically when Windows 10 starts,
- To stop any application, click on it, then click on the "Disable" option that appears in the lower right corner.
4. Clearing application cache continuously:
Applications may be subject to inflation as a result of installing a lot of extensions and add-ons, which causes greater resource consumption and thus slow performance, so this problem can be avoided by scanning these add-ons if they are not frequently used so that the application returns as close as possible to its default state, and this process is done for each application separately. However, the best way to get the best result is to delete the slow-moving app and then reinstall it.
5. Update or restore the operating system from a backup copy:
To get all the previously mentioned tips in one step, you can restore the backup copy of the operating system or replace it with a newer version while keeping important files and applications in the cloud storage service.
To restore a backup copy of Windows 10, do the following:
- Go to the settings page, on the option (Update & Security) located at.
- Click on the option (restore) Recovery, then start restoring the copy by clicking on Get Started.
For best results, choose to remove all installed files and applications making sure you have backup copies.
In the event that the problems you are facing persist and the device is still slow after reinstalling the system, it is time to replace your device with another device with better specifications or upgrade some basic components.