High-tech fighter of the 5th generation F-35 Lightning II was supposed to play a key role in the future of the armed forces of the United States. Developed in 2001, a multi-function machine was to arrive on arms of the air force and the U.S. Navy came to replace the aircraft of the 4th generation. However, before a formal decision on the start of serial production of the F-35, which must be taken at the end of the year, the Pentagon plans to decide on whether to continue the development of the fighter.
As the portal Futurism, referring to Defense News, which conducted its own investigation, a new car, there are 13 previously reported but the most serious problems of the 1st category, influencing the efficacy of their missions.
According to the source, the programme for the development of multifunctional fighter, which the US has spent over one billion dollars, is currently in much worse shape than reported through the official channels.
The shortcomings of the F-35 Lightning II
Thus, according to the investigation conducted by the Defense News, the shortcomings of the fighter, in particular, include:
- The inability of the allies to use the logistics system ALIS (Autonomic Logistics Information System) without sending in the US own secret data about the operation of the aircraft;
- There are problems with deliveries to customers of spare parts, which is not provided or is inaccurate ALIS;
- There is a likelihood of barotrauma during spikes of pressure in the cabin;
- The electronics of the apparatus lying, constantly giving incorrect information about the failure of the battery of the plane in temperatures of minus 34 degrees Celsius and below;
- At speeds above Mach 1.2 the F-35B and F-35C are observed structural damage and the formation of bubbles on the stealth-coating;
- For angles of attack greater than 20 degrees, the control F-35B and F-35C may become unstable;
- There have been problems with the braking system of the F-35A and F-35B during landing;
- There are problems with the helmet-mounted display the pilot will appear on the “green glow” that hinder the visibility of the aircraft during landing on an aircraft carrier;
- In low light conditions night vision camera can display “horizontal lines” that impede the review of the horizon when landing the jet fighter;
- Restricted mode radar with active phased array AN / APG-81 over the sea, which detects the target only in the front direction;
- When the air temperature is above + 32 degrees Celsius in the engine of an F-35B will not produce enough for a soft landing thrust.
In the same in his report to Defense News reminds that as of January 2018 the F-35, there were 111 problems 1 category. In may of the same year their number was reduced to 64.
Edition managed to get a comment from the head of the program F-35 Lightning II from the Pentagon, Vice-Admiral Matt winter, who said that none of the current 13 issues does not pose a serious or catastrophic risk for pilots of the mission or airframe (subcategory 1-A), whereas other defects (1-B), although limit the ability of the mission can be solved in the near future.
Winter also noted that the Pentagon intends to fix or downgrade to a 2-category with nine faults, while the other two problems will solve future software update. The remaining two flaws, the Pentagon has decided not to fix it
(and so will do). Explaining the reasons for the decision, he said that such problems were discovered when the fighter was at the limit of their possibilities.
To discuss the news in our Telegram chat.