Not all of the chips of the new generation has been announced. This is an unusual generation: they are produced by two technological processes (14 and 10 nm++ nm+), two micro architectures from different eras. This article is about the 14-nm chips Comet Lake. In my opinion, they could speed up the MacBook Air, but will Apple spend time on an update I don’t know. Comet Lake, the chips of the 10th generation produced in the 14 nm technology++, was announced on 21 August this year, deliveries have already begun.
The architecture of these chips is the fourth update of the architecture used in Skylake. With a lot of nice new features: this RAM support LPDDR4X (2 933 MHz), along with LPDDR3 and DDR4, and advanced management technology clock frequency (performance), Adaptix, common to all chips 10-th generation, and much more. Once again recognizing the thin and ultrathin notebooks and the “two-in-one” (a hybrid of laptop and tablet) the most important activity, Intel has concentrated its efforts on this segment. Processors that would fit the MacBook Pro while in the item no. Only “U” and “Y”. GPUs are the same as in the chips of the 9th generation. By the way, in the press release, these chips called “chips the 10th generation ex-Comet Lake”. Still code names were attached to the chips forever. Remember Merom, Nehalem and other of their comrades?
All serial chips Comet Lake, as of October 1, 2019, is shown below. In the list of contractions such as 6C/12T stands for “< number of cores>C”/“< number of threads>T”:
- i7-10510Y, 4C/8T, cache third level is 8 MB, base clock frequency of 1.2 GHz, the turbo frequency for all cores at 3.2 GHz, the turbo frequency for one core to 4.5 GHz;
- i5-10310Y, 4C/8T, cache third level 6 MB, base clock frequency of 1.1 GHz, the turbo frequency for all cores at 2.8 GHz, the turbo frequency for one core and 4.1 GHz;
- i5-10210Y, 4C/8T, cache third level 6 MB, base clock frequency of 1.0 GHz, the turbo frequency for all cores to 2.7 GHz, the turbo frequency for one core 4.0 GHz;
- i3-10110Y, 2C/4T, the third cache level 4 MB, the base clock speed of 1.0 GHz, the turbo frequency for all cores 3.7 GHz, a turbo frequency for one core 4.0 GHz;
- i7-10710U, 6C/12T, cache in the third level 12 MB, core clock 1.1 GHz, the turbo frequency for all cores to 3.9 GHz turbo frequency for one core 4.7 GHz;
- i7-10510U, 4C/8T, cache third level is 8 MB, base clock frequency of 1.8 GHz, the turbo frequency for all cores to 4.3 GHz, the turbo frequency for one core at 4.9 GHz;
- i5-10210U, 4C/8T, cache third level 6 MB, base clock 1.6 GHz, turbo frequency for all cores to 3.9 GHz turbo frequency for one core 4.2 GHz;
- i3-10110U, 2C/4T, the third cache level 4 MB, the basic clock frequency of 1.2 GHz, the turbo frequency for all cores 3.7 GHz, a turbo frequency for one core and 4.1 GHz.
By default, all of the Y-chips TDP (structural requirements for the heat sink) – 7 Watts. The manufacturer of the laptop can reduce the TDP of 5 Watts (reducing clock speed) or increase them to increase performance. Apple trusting their cooling systems tend to disperse the processor to higher frequencies. Regular TDP U-chip “10th generation” – 15 Watt. Have i7-10710U TDP can be reduced to 12.5 Watt, all the rest is U-chip – up to 10 Watts. A higher TDP U-chip to 25 Watts. Integrated graphics or Intel Graphics UHD 620 (U crystals on the chips Core i7 and Core i5) or Intel UHD Graphics 610 (on crystals all Y chips and the Core i3 U chips). iGPU in Ice Lake more interesting, the 11th-generation performance to 1.12 Teraflops – but can Intel to release Ice Lake in massive numbers?
We offer you to subscribe to our channel in "Yandex.Zen". There you can find the exclusive materials that are not on the website.
Reasons for doubt about the reality of Ice Lake car and small truck. First, until now Intel did not succeed: Cannon Lake, a 10-nm processor architecture Palm Cove, was produced in a single copy in 2018). Second, Comet Lake announced three weeks after no less persistent and optimistic announcements about the imminent (the festive season) the beginning of mass production of Ice Lake. The ad Comet Lake, “the former Comet Lake” and rename them into “chips of the 10th generation,” is surprising and makes you wonder: what about Ice Lake? But all this stuff, here is the key: Comet Lake and Ice Lake are intended for the same market segment. For thin and light laptops. And they have (had?) to compete not only with AMD but also among themselves. One or the other wins. I usually try to avoid it – anything good it does not.
However, Lake Ice, we will discuss next time. And Comet Lake, if you don’t pay attention to their origin from Skylake, seem more than acceptable.