One of the main innovations of the Apple Watch 4 was the ability to record electrocardiogram (ECG) of the heart of the owner. What can be useful this function to ordinary users? The answer to this question was given by a Reddit user, working as a doctor in the emergency room.
He confirmed that Apple Watch 4 is really capable of recording ECG, however, they have serious limitations. They are related to the fact that recording a full electrocardiogram are required up to 12 electrodes with vectors perpendicular to the heart. Apple Watch these two electrodes is only enough of the frequency measurement of the heart for subsequent diagnosis of atrial fibrillation (the most common form of cardiac arrhythmia).
The doctor was assured that short bouts of fibrillation can happen to many people and did not represent a danger. However, frequent increase the risk of heart attack and heart failure. The use of the function really is — when it detects changes in the heartbeat, watch notifies about the necessity to pass the examination.
I don’t know how Apple Watch 4?
The author of the post provided a list of what a watch is not exactly capable of:
- they can’t diagnose other heart disease in addition to atrial fibrillation;
- the function of ECG is useless for people with the above diagnosis — they need to undergo regular examinations with a doctor on the subject of complications;
- they can’t calculate the risk of heart attack is sometimes not even full sized machines;
- watch is considered as a device for home use is class II, along with contraception and pregnancy testing;
- they are not able to record ECG Autonomous — it is necessary to tap the Digital Crown in the other hand.
The user is also told in detail about the technology of ECG and risk changes heart rate. To read the full text in Russian, you can habré.
Are you ready to entrust your health the Apple Watch 4? To discuss updated can watch in our Telegram chat.