To the extent that, as mobile games become more and more sophisticated, and their graphics are getting better and better, smartphones require higher performance that these games looked good and worked smoothly. Regardless of whether it is your smartphone a novelty or not, you will likely be able to squeeze much more than I used to see. Changing the display settings of your smartphone or tablet, you will be able to achieve higher performance in games and demanding apps, and maybe even save some battery life.
There are several ways to do it. The easiest is to change the screen resolution in your device’s settings, however this option is only available on some Android devices and allows selection of only predefined screen resolution. For some applications or games, these settings may not affect.
For those who wants more resolution or to make DPI higher than allow system settings – or who have no ability to do this in settings of your smartphone, Google Play has several appsthat will allow you to change the screen resolution, although this requires that your phone is “rooted”. The problem is that some new games will not load on rooted devices and therefore in such games as Pokemon Go, Fortnite or Mobile PUBG, the above method will not help.
Fortunately, there is another option that allows you to change the screen resolution of your device without having root access.
How to change screen resolution of Android device without root access
First, you need to download and install Android Debug bridge on your computer. After installation, you will need to convert the smartphone into developer Mode. Developer mode allows you to change disabled by default configuring system level on your smartphone, but now all we have to do is enable USB debugging.
- Go to “Settings” > “About phone”, then scroll down and tap “build Number” about 7-10 times in a row. You will receive a notification when developer Mode is activated.
- Now go to “Settings” > “System” > “Advanced settings” > “developer Options”. Scroll down to the section “Debugging” and enable the option “Debugging USB”.
A small note: if you are doing it to improve performance in Fortnite, be sure to disable “USB Debugging” and “developer Mode” after editing the display settings, as Fortnite (and many other online games) will lock your settings if these options are left enabled. To disable the developer mode, go to “Settings” > “System” > “Advanced settings” > “developer Options”, and then toggle the switch at the top next to “developer Options” in the down position.
Connect the smartphone to the PC and change the display settings
- Connect the USB charging cable of your smartphone to the computer.
- Start a command prompt on your PC. For Windows press the key combination Windows+R, then type “cmd” and press Enter. On a Mac press the cmd+Space bar, then find “Terminal”. For Linux users, press Ctrl+Alt+T.
- Type “adb shell dumpsys display” at the command prompt and press Enter.
- Find DPI of your smartphone (wm density) and resolution (wm size or a display width and display height). Record these numbers in the future, you can return to the original screen.
- Now you can start editing the resolution and DPI. On many smartphones these settings differ. Use this tableto find the resolution of your smartphone and increase or decrease it in accordance with the table (if you are using a device with a resolution of 1920×1080, reduce it to 1280×720). To change DPI, but that’s for most smartphones own DPI values should normally be in the range from 120 to 640. It may take some amount of trial and error to find the right DPI, but still adhere to the range from 120 to 640.
- Enter “wm density [new DPI]” in the command prompt and press Enter to change DPI, and “wm size [new resolution value]” to change the resolution. You should see it automatically on your device.
- After completing all the settings, enter “adb reboot” to reboot your smartphone and safely disconnect it from your computer.
I tested the steps above with Pokemon Go on your Google Pixel 3 XL, as the change of the display settings is the most popular way to improve the performance of the game, based on the advice in the gaming forums. On my smartphone it worked very well and to change settings, but after that, to my surprise, there was noticeable increase in frame rate and the corresponding smoothness.
Share your opinion in the comments under this material in our Telegram chat.