Artificial intelligence could be invented in the United States, but other countries, including China, Canada and France took major steps to support the development of this technology and benefit from it. And so Donald trump, the US President will try to change course, signing a decree to start a private game AI by the US government. The main directions of “American initiatives in the field of artificial intelligence” was published in advance of the Management policy in the field of science and technology.
Artificial intelligence in the United States
This initiative aims to stimulate the industry of artificial intelligence in America through the redistribution of resources, create new resources and develop ways of forming technology in the country even as globalization itself.
However, although targets are high, details remain unclear. And the amount of research funding AI has not yet been announced.
The plan must be achieved in five key points:
- Redirection of funding. The order will require Federal funding agencies to prioritize investments in artificial intelligence.
- The creation of resources. The desire to make the Federal data, computer models and computing resources available to researchers in AI.
- Setting the standards. The national Institute of standards and technology is mandated to create standards that encourage the development of “reliable, stable, trustworthy, secure, portable and compatible AI systems”.
- Retraining of workers. Agencies will be instructed to prioritize the training of employees to changes caused by AI, through training, programmes for training and scholarships.
- The international involvement. It is built the strategy for international cooperation, which ensures that AI is developing in line with American “values and interests”.
Each step should help in the American artificial intelligence research and make the US more competitive — commensurate with success in performing the tasks.
Trump briefly mentioned “industry of the future” in his address last week, and administration officials have indicated that the President is preparing a series of orders aimed at improving US competitiveness in key technology areas, including AI, 5G and quantum computation.
For the White house, of course, it is vital to have a consistent policy with regard to artificial intelligence, if it wants to maintain American military power, economic power and influence abroad. And administration trump has been criticized for the fact that adhered to the principle of non-interference in AI, unlike other governments. The main economic and strategic rival of America — China announced ambitious plan for the financing and development of AI in 2017.
Many in the government are obviously concerned that the U.S. is losing its advantage. Last year the then US defence Secretary Jim Mattis sent White house a note to the President: develop a national strategy for AI.
Jason Furman, a Professor at Harvard, who was Chairman of the Council of economic advisers to President Obama and helped to make important report of the administration about the AI for 2016, says the new plan is encouraging, however, is only the first step.
Who do you think will be the first in the AI — China or USA? Tell us in our chat in Telegram.