A few days ago, we told you the story about 81-year-old lover of healthy food is so overdone with the intake of wholesome food that I almost lost my kidneys. According to statistics, this news has interested many of our readers — want something similar? Fortunately, these medical stories are many, and one of them occurred recently in the us state of Rhode island. The local hospital has treated 25-year-old girl with complaints of weakness, trouble breathing, and bluish skin tone. During the tests revealed that her blood had stained a dark blue color.
Inspection girls took a doctor by the name of Otis Warren. Fortunately, he had a great experience and have already managed to see patients with blue blood. Suspecting that the reason for the blue tint of the skin, nails and blood girls is oxygen deprivation, the doctor decided to measure the saturation of her blood with oxygen. His instincts did not disappoint — while the saturation of blood oxygen in a healthy person is 97-100%, the patient this index was equal to 67%.
The reason blue blood
Dr. Warren gave the girl a diagnosis of methemoglobinemia. The cause of this rare disease is a change in the shape of iron — this trace element ceases to provide oxygen to tissue, which leads to oxygen starvation. From your medical experience, the doctor remembered that the cause of this disease can be the excessive use of some medications, like painkillers and antibiotics.
And in this case he made the right decision. It turned out that on the eve of the girl strongly toothache and before bed she took a large dose of anesthetic with the local anesthetic benzocaine. It became the cause of oxygen starvation, and in one night rich in oxygen is bright red blood the patient has acquired a blue color.
By the way, subscribe to our Telegram channel — so you dont miss any new medical history.
Consequences of oxygen starvation
If the girl did not go to the hospital, the consequences could be very sad. The fact is that during oxygen starvation in human may experience irreparable brain damage, the end result of which is death. Fortunately, an experienced doctor knew what to do and gave the girl a substance called “methylene blue”. He restored the most important element of blood hemoglobin, which has the property to capture oxygen and deliver them to the organs. After spending the night in the hospital, the girl began to feel better and was sent home.
See also: Surgeons successfully extinguished the fire in the breast of the patient
This story can be considered an excellent reminder that drugs should be treated with extreme caution. Always keep in mind that the threat to human health can be even popular antibiotics that are often prescribed by doctors. For example, do you know about the dangers of oxolinic acid, which is usually prescribed for infections of the urinary tract? Recently, scientists have found that because of the use of antibiotics, many people develop cardiovascular disease. What happens to their body can be read in our material.